Tuesday, November 27, 2012

New Short Story - Don't Cry for me Margarita

Writing is difficult but also rewarding. I find it most rewarding when I finish a project I'm proud of and I can put it out there to either live or die among the tough critics of the reading community. I'm also excited when I look at my Amazon author page and see a new entry, after today's release, I'm currently up to four. I'm hoping to have a fifth up there before the year is out, in the form of my third novel but until that time, I offer up my second short story, Don't Cry for me Margarita.

I originally came up with this idea six years ago and I wanted it as a short film which could be submitted to the Sundance film festival. I still have those aspirations, being in competition at Sundance is a major goal of mine but for the time being I've turned it into a short story.

I come up with ideas and inspiration in random ways and I like that. Since I have no set formula, in my opinion, I'll always be able to come with ideas. Sometimes I create an idea from a title I come up with. In this instance, coming up with the title brought this idea back to life and I finished it rather quickly. Like I said, I started this six years ago and I only wrote a page or two of it and it has sat on my computer ever since. I went back and read what I had done a couple days ago and it's amazing how far I've come as a writer. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't very good either. Anyway, I came up with a title idea, Don't Cry for me Margarita and thought it was clever and humorous but I had no story for it. A few weeks later I stopped to match a story with the title and I remembered my old idea and got excited by it. A short time after that I was sending the finished story to my editor.

Don't Cry for me Margarita is a short story about a twenty something who is stalling in his career because of his slacker tendencies. He's been given the opportunity to complete and present a project where if he succeeds, he will be promoted and if he fails, he will be fired. The morning of the presentation he is confronted by crisis after crisis as he tries to get to work on time and secure his future. This is a story about overcoming obstacles, told in a humorous way. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment